In 2010, I graduated from Pratt Institute with a BFA in Art Education, and a minor in Painting and Art History. I also studied Fine Arts for a semester at the Korean National University of Arts in Seoul. Art is my greatest passion, and travel and life abroad have only amplified my creativity and exposed me to new techniques and ideas.
My favorite technique is collage, and I love experimenting with odd materials and objects from everyday life. However, my favorite technique to teach is printmaking–anything from collographs to linocuts to monoprints. Lately, I’ve been creating visual narratives inspired by my life in Colombia, as well as illustrating and collaging scenes from my journeys abroad. I’ve also been experimenting with video and graphic design, teaching myself how to (hopefully) become a pro at Illustrator and Photoshop!
A few sites where my work has been published:
- Een goed gevoel bij biokatoen, Het Parool, 5.13.2013
- Made in Bangladesh, [French] ELLE, 5.02.2013
- Learning Korean through Art, Chincha, 4.24.2013
- Sarah Shaw, [b]racket, February 2013 issue, (pgs. 24-27)
- “Global Perspectives” issue, Prattfolio, spring/fall 2010, (pg. 24)
- ‘Paper at the Edge of Art’, Jay Gallery, Seoul, South Korea, 2011
- ‘Gorham Community Art Show’, The Gorham Grind, Gorham, ME USA, 2010
- ‘Aanstormend Talent 2010’, Podium 0950, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2010
- ‘The Teacher as Artist’, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY USA, 2009
- ‘37″36’07.68″ N-127″03’29.63″ E’, Korea National University of Arts, Seoul South Korea, 2009
- ‘Dual Painting Exhibition’, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY USA, 2008
- ‘Portland Sidewalk Arts Festival’, Portland, ME USA, 2008
- ‘Young Artists Student Exhibition’, Portland Museum of Art, Portland, ME USA, 2005
Are you an artist, illustrator, designer or creative-type? Do you also create art on the road? Passing through Cartagena anytime soon? Reach out– maybe we could collaborate or at least sketch together.
-Text and photography by Sarah Shaw @ www.mappingwords.com. All rights reserved.